[ratpack] Am I nutz??

  • From: humminboid@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: ratpack <ratpack@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jared Aicher <canyonbackpacker@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 05:24:53 +0000 (UTC)

I keep thinking I should simplify my life, somehow, including photography .

I keep looking at the ads for film cameras, like the little Canonet  or other
"pocket cameras", and I keep looking at all the film cameras that are looking
for a good home, being sold because people have gone to digital, don't do film
anymore, and never did know how to do it right, anyhow.  A lot still don't know
how to do good digital, either, but now they can d o it faster than ever and
more of it .

I used to be able to do photograp hy  and darkroom work pretty well, and the
small 35mm  cameras with f/1.8-2.8 lenses  beat the digitals all hollow when
you are trying to photograph small, active kids, or anything else that moves.
ALL  the small digitals all have  shutter lag. Some are better than others, but
they all have it, no matter what you try! A nd all the darkroom stuff I have in
my bas ement!

I keep thinking of buying a Crown Graphic 4X5, or a Bushman Press Camera for
the lens movement, or a Rolleiflex or Yashica MAT, and using it as a field
camera, for large, tack-sharp enlargements. So far, I have taken a couple of
aspirin, and laid down in a dark, quiet room, and the urge has gone away.

That is not simplification!

I keep thinking I ought to buy a film camera for old time's sake, but one that
has the newer  technology, like autofocus, matrix metering  and  different
modes, plus m anual, because th ey brought photography out of the dark ages, as
far a s I am concerned.  I dearly love those upgrades, and the camera should be
able to use  my lenses,(probably will...it'll be a Nikon!)  which will be a
complet e cir cle for the 70-210,  "Iron Duke" ... bought 20 +  years ago for
my 6006, which I dearly loved. It's still  sharp and  going strong!

I say that, then I go and buy a new lens, the 70-300 VR, which I say will be my
racing car-air show-animal-bird lens. So far, it's proving that at 450mm
equivalent, hand held, the sharpness is there. And I am not a steady as I once
was, darn it!

Soooo... what's a guy to do?    Halp!