[ratpack] Admin: Re: Fwd: HUGE VIRUS COMING ! PLEASE READ & FORWARD

  • From: Ray Buck <rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ratpack@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 14:33:33 -0700

This is where I have to draw the line as administrator. Virus warnings are almost always hoaxes. This one has a small degree of truth mixed thoroughly with a lotta FUD (Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt.)

http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/postcard.asp

If one is going to post a warning of such a nature here, I insist that it be accompanied by some sort of statement that it's been checked out on Snopes or www.hoaxkill.com or any other valid, respected urban legend/hoax debunking site.

There are some times when virus warnings are valid. But 95 times out of 100 the email handling systems at isps like Xmission and Comcast or MSN will stop them. That's become one of their primary jobs: stopping spam and viruses, particularly trojans, since they could be held liable if one of their clients gets a trojan and then starts mailbombing other users from the infected machine's address book.

Carl, please don't stop forwarding the humor stuff. A lot of people like it. But as I said, I have to draw the line at virus warnings and other hoaxes. Btw, did you know that if you forward this to 147 people you can resurrect Micheal Jackson? On the other hand...never mind. :) And Microsoft isn't giving away money, the Mrs Field's cookie recipe didn't come with a bill for $250 and untold numbers of motorists won't be killed if they flash their headlights. Mosey through Snopes. Check out some of the stuff there. It's far funnier than tv. Well, that isn't saying much. But you'll find that Taps wasn't written by a Confederate soldier who died in his Union officer father's arms. This is called glurge, but it's still fantasy stuff. Here's a whole list of glurge:
http://www.snopes.com/glurge/glurge.asp

And here's a very interesting story on the movie, The Mancurian Candidate:
http://www.snopes.com/movies/films/manchurian.asp

RtR

At 01:29 PM 11/25/2009, you wrote:

I have read several like this in past years, especially around Christmas, but you can never be certain. My question is: We are paranoid, but are we paranoid enough?

----------

 HUGE VIRUS COMING ! PLEASE READ & FORWARD

HUGE VIRUS COMING ! PLEASE READ & FORWARD !
Hi All,

I checked with Norton Anti-Virus, and they are gearing up for this virus!
I checked Snopes, and it is for real. Get this E-mail message sent around to all your contacts ASAP.& nbsp;

PLEASE FORWARD THIS WARNING AMONG YOUR FRIENDS, FAMILY AND CONTACTS!

You should be alert during the next few days. Do not open any message with an attachment entitled 'POSTCARD FROM HALLMARK,'regardless of who sent it to you. It is a virus which opens A POSTCARD IMAGE, which 'burns' the whole hard disc C drive of your computer..

This virus will be received from someone who has your e-mail address on his/her contact list. That is the reason why you need to send this e-mail to all your contacts. It is better to receive this message 25 times than to receive the virus and open it!

If you receive a mail called' POSTCARD,' even if it is sent to you by a friend, do not open it! Shut down your computer immediately. This is the worst virus announced by CNN.

It has been classified by Microsoft as the most destructive virus ever. This virus was discovered by McAfee yesterday, and there is no repair yet for this kind of virus. This virus simply destroys the Zero Sector of the Hard Disc, where the vital information is kept.

COPY THIS E-MAIL, AND SEND IT TO YOUR FRIENDS.
REMEMBER: IF YOU SEND IT TO THEM, YOU WILL BENEFIT ALL OF US

COX

CyberDefender has scanned this email for potential threats.
Version 2.0 / Build 4.03.29.01
Get free PC security at <http://www.cyberdefender.com/>http://www.cyberdefender.com

Hotmail: Trusted email with powerful SPAM protection. <http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/177141665/direct/01/>Sign up now.

--