[radioastro] Do not panic yet !! opposition occurs 111029

  • From: Victor Herrero <hubbleed@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wesley Greenman <greenman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Radio JOVE NASA GSFC <radiojove@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 16:08:19 -0700

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 11:07 AM, Wesley Greenman <greenman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> Two more weeks of Jupiter.  For tomorrow, the Io-A/C source is from 0500 to
> 0930 UT.  A low-pass on the A source and a center-pass on the C source.
>  Guaranteed to all that attend to lose sleep.
> Wes

Hello Wes and All

Do not panic yet !!
Wes did not mean that Jovian observations will be over by October 4 !!

We still have about 4 months of the traditional Jovian observing season (3
months before to 3 months after opposition).

Opposition occurs 111029:
http://www.astronomylive.com/event/jupiter-opposition-29-october-2011

Jupiter and the Sun will be on opposite sides of the Sky.
As the Sun sets, Jupiter rises.
At about midnight Jupiter will transit and will be high in the Sky.

In addition to that, we sometimes observe Jupiter in the daytime, but the
conditions are less favorable, the ionosphere becomes more opaque, the noise
level increases, the distance to Jupiter increases. It helps if the Sun is
quiet.

Nancay continues to observe Jupiter until about a month before conjunction
and resumes about a month after conjunction, but they have a beautiful array
with 72 big conical spirals per polarization, electronically steered. I
would like to have one like it !

For a location near Radio Alachua, in northern Florida USA, on 111029 at
000000 local time (local midnight) wonderful RJP3 shows Jupiter will have an
azimuth of ~ 169 deg (near due south), altitude ~ 72 deg.

Am I about right ??
Check with your RJP3 and tell me.

As Wes says, we will lose sleep, but it will be for a good cause:
Promoting the Amateur Spirit of Radio Discovery

QTH Ashland Oregon
QST http://herrero-radio-astronomy.blogspot.com/
QRA Victor N7YBV
73