[radioastro] Did we detect a Jupiter storm between 1 am EST and 5 am EST on 9-13-2011?

  • From: Victor Herrero <hubbleed@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: red-radioastronomia-en-espanol@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, radioastronomia-del-pescador-de-galaxias@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 08:21:18 -0700

Hello Andy, John,

The track went well below red, from 5 to 9 UT, I attach a RJP3 map.
However, there are non-Io dependent events which can be quite strong.
We may get a confirmation from other Observers.

EST, Eastern Standard Time, is currently Universal Time Coordinated - 4
hours.

We like to use UTC as much as possible to minimize confusion for Observers
around the world.

UTC is Atomic Time with adjustments of exactly 1 second Atomic Time, to keep
it in step with Earth's rotation, as needed.

In Jim Sky's wonderful Radio-Jupiter Pro 3, RJP3 for brevity, GMT or
Greenwich Mean Time is used. For our purposes this is the same as UTC.
Zulu or Z time is also UTC.

For more details see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coordinated_Universal_Time

This is what the US Navy says about Zulu time:
http://www.navy.mil/navydata/questions/zulutime.html

I note that for the Navy Alaska time is  "Victor" time !!

I have been observing the Sun with radio telescopes since 1966 and I am
still a beginner,  going up a steep learning curve.
There is a torrent of Radio Astronomical Literature to read !

Good luck in your observations.

Victor
http://herrero-radio-astronomy.blogspot.com/

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 4:38 AM, Andy Mount <andrewmoun@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Gentlemen!
>
> John Cox and I are your newest  members from South Carolina of the
> RadioJove cohort.  John had contacted y'all last week to inquire about
> Jupiter storm probabilities for September.  As newbies we are still just
> beginning to grasp the significance and power of radio astronomy.  Another
> words, we are just beginning our ascent of a very steep learning curve.
>  Would you mind taking a look at the trace that is attached. Did we detect
> radio activity from Jupiter early this morning?
>
> Thanks and best wishes,
>
> Andy
> [image: image.jpeg]
> Sent from my i
>
> On Sep 12, 2011, at 2:16 PM, Wesley Greenman <greenman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
> On 9/12/2011 11:37 AM, Victor Herrero wrote:
>
> Additional RJP3 high probability (red) predictions for September 2011
>
> I attach 4 RJP3 maps that were not included in :
>  <//www.freelists.org/archives/radioastro/09-2011/pngPzNMxGNwzV.png>
> //www.freelists.org/archives/radioastro/09-2011/pngPzNMxGNwzV.png
> which was intended for South Carolina USA.
>
> Please consult RJP3 to decide if these opportunities (no guarantees) are
> observable at your location, with your antenna system.
>
> Many thanks for your participation in Radio JOVE
> Good luck to All
> Victor
>  <http://herrero-radio-astronomy.blogspot.com/>
> http://herrero-radio-astronomy.blogspot.com/
>

>  Hello Victor,
> My post on the Sept. Jupiter predictions, as noted, were for those of us on
> the east coast primarily.  Some of the events you posted may be seen in
> other time zones.
> 1. The 110914 Io-A/C event was included in my predictions.
> 2. The 110916 Io-C event-- Jupiter is below the horizon
> 3. The 110919 Io-A event-- Jupiter is one hour from setting.
> 4. the 110926 Io-A event-- Jupiter has set well below the horizon.
>
> As I also noted, I encouraged all to use the Radio Jove Pro software for
> predictions at their location.
>
> Wes

JPEG image