[racktables-users] Re: support for PostgreSQL?

  • From: John Madden <jmadden@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: racktables-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 08:41:12 -0500

> Well, we had no strong intention to lock with MySQL, so an abstraction
> layer was used, it's PDO. That said, MySQL used to be the only DB
> around our environment, so much of the SQL in RackTables eventually
> appeared to be MySQL'ism. At the moment I'm not even aware in which
> areas MySQL and Postgres outperform each other at their current
> versions. And it doesn't even matter, because being compatible
> means using only the common language/feature subset.

I wonder since it's written against PDO if it won't "just work" when run
against pgsql?

> Although the current SQL code isn't far from this common subset, we've
> had enough headache debugging the queries against both MySQL-4.x and
> MySQL-5.x. The question is: who can and will make the same way again
> for Postgres and maintain the compatibility in the future?

I suppose perhaps one approach might be to code standard SQL against the
PDO (or switch to a more agnostic) library where database compatibility
isn't really your problem anymore.  (That's what the layer's supposed to
do and if PDO doesn't do it, maybe it isn't the right layer for the
product.)  I can't commit development time, but I may be able to help on
the database side...

John

--
John Madden