[racktables-users] Re: Hello there it is me again...

  • From: Ernest Shaffer <ernest.shaffer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "racktables-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <racktables-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 00:39:00 -0700

What I do is create the blades as servers and the enclosure as a server. Then I create a rack to represent the enclosure with one extra slot. So let's say I have a 16 blade enclosure, I'll create it as 17u. Also that rack is the same name as the enclosure name. Now you can assign the very top u to the enclosure server device and also place the enclosure server device in it's real rack. Now assign each blade a unit in the enclosure rack. That is my work around, until racktables handles enclosures. I do the same thing with VMware, LPARs, openvz and solaris containers. Oh, and I also create rack rows for each type of vitualization/enclosure, to make it easy to see all my VMware and other HD instances.

Hope that helps

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 8, 2010, at 5:52 PM, Jeff Orr <JOrr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I agree with your thoughts too. I was just thinking through how to do this the other day... Has anyone started putting blades in? How are you assigning them to the rack?

Jeff Orr
Network Engineer, Information Technology
Genesis Healthcare Systems
jorr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
DID: 740-454-4572 | FAX: (740)450-6136

*For any IT problem, request, or question please contact the IT service desk at x4330, 740.454.4330, or ITservicedesk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx