[racktables-users] Re: Feature question

  • From: Denis Ovsienko <pilot@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: racktables-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 9 May 2009 14:14:41 +0400

> Has the tag-roller been extended to any filtered content? If it hasn't,
> it would be nice to have that feature. If I add a tag and have a lot of
> items that need that tag, it is tedious to go through every single item
> and change the tag.

Hello.
The tag roller is a very special feature for one specific purpose. Back
then before 0.15.0 release, when I had just added tagging, I faced a
task to tag lots of hardware with the tag of the datacenter each piece
was placed in. So I quickly made this helper, used it and never
returned to it again. It is still there to help people upgrading from
0.14.x versions (if they need this and know, how to use it).

I don't intend to develop this approach further, but instead I want to
implement a tree of "locations" and make all assets inherit additional
tags from the location they belong to (and all parent locations in
turn). This way the relation already existing in the database ("A" is
contained in "B", which is contained in "C") wouldn't have to be
repeated once more in a different way (tags "B" and "C" assigned to
asset "A").

I've been designing different aspects of this for considerable time,
but the implementation of this won't be started till 0.17.x is released
and stabilised. That's what we are trying to work on at the moment.