[racktables-users] Re: About L2Address to be unique

  • From: Denis Ovsienko <pilot@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: racktables-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 02:22:19 +0400

On Wed, 01 Jul 2009 15:08:49 +0200 Michael Holm - 2Fast wrote:

> Hi,
>
> First of all, nice software :).. but im trying to hack the snmp import
> script a little bit.. i want to be able to import my ZyXEL switches..
> but i has found out that you cannot have the same mac address on
> multiple ports on the same object :/

Hello.

All managed switches I've met so far have unique L2 address on each
port, at least when it comes to the BIA (burn-in address). The
constraint was introduced to make this fact working against mistaken
data entry. Of course, if it is acceptable to have such duplicates in
the real world, the DB constraint should be removed (currently the
search function relies on it). But I suspect, that the duplicates have
to do with STP.

Any other ZyXEL hardware owners here?