[racattack] Re: Locally Cached ISOs

  • From: Martin Nash <martin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "racattack@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <racattack@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 07:43:41 +0100

Hi all,

This is a great solution. Nice work Seth!

There is one potential blocker that will probably be beyond our control and it
hit me during the RAC Attack II session at OUGN. I don't know the correct term
for the feature, but some wireless networks do not allow communication between
clients on the network.

The scenario was that I ran a web server on my laptop with all the files the
attendees needed for the workshop. Despite attempts from Martin B, Björn, Frits
& me we were not able to get around the restriction. I'd never encountered the
situation before, but others told me it's not uncommon on public networks.

In the end I used a combination of USB drives and network cables to distribute
the files to the group. Obviously the OOW network might be different to the one
in Oslo, but forewarned is forearmed.

If the network is restricted in the way described then a cheap GbE network
switch and a handful of cables might be the easiest workaround with the Squid
proxy running on a laptop sharing its wireless connection over a wired
connection to the switch.

Martin - from my mobile