[python] Re: rear brake

  • From: John Reese <jd57reese@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 19:39:19 -0700 (PDT)

Dirk,

Where did you mount the brake pads, above the rear stays, or below?  If the
brake pads are above the stays, they will tend to drive down with the wheel
rotation, and lock up more easily.  If the mounting bosses are below the stays,
the wheel rotation will not allow the rear brake to lock due to friction with
the pads.
A local club of builders helped with the solution I had worked out in the past,
and they are a good resource for information.
http://mnhpva.org/Meetings/Jan-04/pages/02_John%27s_Fork.html

I ended up placing the brakes behind the fork, to allow a tighter lock up for
the V-brake.  But this was a recumbent, not a python.  Next project.  I'm
scrounging up old bikes now for donor parts for a 26" 26" python.

John Reese
Wisconsin USA