[python] Re: Python Trike

  • From: <spartansmoke@xxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 14:11:13 -0500

Here in snowy Cleveland, I am also thinking about a trike,
if I can find someone to help with the welding.  :-)

Hi Hilel,

The welding issue seems to be one of the major hold backs for many people wishing to homebuild. If a person is only planning to build a single project, perhaps the most logical approach would be to cut and prepare eveything for assembly and then contract it out to a professional welder for final assembly.

TIG welding is perhaps the most desireable method depending on the material used, but the cost of a TIG welder is cost prohibitive for most of us. As you stated a few days ago, you suffer from DIYS :-), so I am reasonably certain it is your intent to do the welding yourself.

I saw a small MIG welder at Harbor Freight www.harborfreight.com. They has the welder on sale last month for $99. They normally sell them for $159. There may be a retail outlet in Cleveland. If you order online, they pay the shipping for anything over $50. The machine operates on 110 volt house current, uses flux core wire and is very messy. The material "spatters" quite a lot, but it does weld rather well. I found it best to weld then grind down the bead a bit and weld it again.

MAPP gas is another "inexpensive" alternative. I found one of those at HomeDepot for $49. It works quite well for brazing booses and other small things onto a frame, but the cost of the oxygen for it ($8 per tiny cylinder) makes it cost prohibitive for major brazing project. A cyclinder of oxygen lasts about 20 minutes and that works out to about $25 per hour of welding. You should be ble to hire a skilled welder for that amount.

As for my own projects, I finally completed building a Mach 2 recumbent clone last week and will begin construction of a python this week. I plan to build a convertible version of the python which can be switched from a bicycle to a tricycle. We'll see how it goes.

I wish you well with your project.

Michael
Fresno, California

Best of luck,