[python] Re: New Video found

  • From: "25hz" <25hz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 20:25:22 -0400

Just for reference, you don't need to heat forks to spread them to fit a
rear wheel in there.  I just use a plain old car jack and it works fine from
28" 10 speed forks all the way down to 16" forks.  For a set of forks to be
spread to fit a 135mm axle, it is less than 3/4" per leg - very minimal and
well within the capacity of the legs.  After "jacking" them, I just lay the
fork on a line I draw, centering the head tube on the line, then measure
from the line to each drop out and fine tune the spread that way.  Even if
they are off by a little, simply true the wheel over until it is centered
under the brake caliper hole, and it'll run straight and true for you, even
if the fork isn't straight and true.  :)

For a new style I'm building right now, I purposefully offset the fork legs
and just true the wheel back under the caliper hole, and it runs fine.
http://www.fleettrikes.com/raptor%2044%20offset%20fork%20451.JPG
In the link, the wheel isn't trued back to center yet, but you can see how
much the fork legs are intentionally uneven.