[python] Re: AW: Google Earth (OT)

  • From: Dirk Steuwer <dirk@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 20:41:17 +0100

> Dirk,
>
> Tomorrow I go back to work at the airport. I noticed the google earth
> pix of it are quite good, of where I live not quite as good and of those
> where I grew up, in northwestern Illinois, so bad that you can barely
> make out that it's really your own home town. The pix are out of date
> also. My ex- has a garage that's about three or so years old and that
> doesn't show up on the google earth pix. Our personal locations are
> another thing. I probably wouldn't have shared  mine if my children
> still lived with me. But I'm getting far enough along toward "old
> fart-dom" that I'm not too worried about much, nothing here to steal,
> etc. The fear of being watched full time by the CIA or better NSA is
> something that is overrated. If the right satellite was in the right
> place with the right weather conditions in the 80's, I'm told that they
> could surmise with about 80% certainty the brand of cigarette someone
> was smoking under the assumption that he was smoking from his own pack
> and that the pack angle in the moment of "click" was close enough to
> perpendicular.
>
>  I worry more now about the fact that the names of my older son and two
> of his friends were published in the local paper with their village
> after they were beaten up at a local Kino. The paper also mentioned that
> 8 local youths would be accused and tried in youth court. Two days after
> the trial, whose result was kept secret from the publicly exposed
> victims, the leader of the gang of young thugs showed up at the school
> of my younger son (on the other side of a town with c. 40K inhabitants),
> then 12 years old and threatened to stick a knife in the belly of
> everyone in the family. I'd choose to be spied on by the CIA any time. A
> police counselor told my ex- not to worry. I worry. The young thug could
> knife my two sons, take a cab to the airport, disappear to his homeland,
> walking right before my eyes into the safety of his waiting plane and
> he's protected from me even knowing who he is. That's the twisted German
> privacy I worry about.
>
> regards from foggy B388
>
> Ron

It is as you say, new technology arrives and gives you new possibilities.
Today its those old images, tomorrow might bring newer ones, if google
chooses to licence them. Meanwhile your data (not only google data) stays in
the internet for years. Ready to be searched for by everyone in your city,
your country, the whole world, including those youngsters from the other side
of town.
Your local newspaper might soon be used to start a fireplace or makes its way
to the bin, it's contents will fade in memory.
If we don't value privacy, why do we lock our doors, or have curtains in our
windows? I don't think its twisted if we work out were technology does good
or bad.

fingers crossed that your kids stay safe!

Dirk