[pythian] Re: PHASE2 - Animations

  • From: "kk" <krauspe@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <pythian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 14:24:19 +0200

> The new engine is doing very well.  I'm getting 300,000 triangles per
> second at 17 FPS, which is almost 3 times better than I got with the old
> engine.  Yes, I know those are the same numbers as I reported a few
> months ago, but when you consider we've increased the number of
> triangles in our maps by 15 times, it's a good sign.  I've found I am
> fill-rate limited now, so we're going to have to start designing our map
> to suit the portals better.  This means no more huge maps with no
> possibility of portals.  We also must determine the optimal number of
> triangles per sector.

So, I get something like 600k tris per second (with 140FPS) - that means at
smooth 60FPS I would get like 10k tris and with about 4 visible sectors at
time it is about 2.5k Tris per visible part of sector = about 70% of the
sector.

I suggest we keep the triangles at about full lightmapped 1000 static world
geometry triangles per sector (with lightmaps w/o multitex. it will do about
3k - but w/o mutlitex). We have to count with model meshes. That's about
additional 2000 triangles per sector (very fast with HW T&L).
So, once more:
1000 triangles for geometry
2000 triangles for moving/animated models

Static models can be easily added to the static geometry in form of solids
(import pmf as solid function) - this is usefull as this way they can be
saved also with a lightmap thus lowering the CPU time needed to sort ogl
lights (+overhead) and render them (those with HW T&L - GPU time to render).

Don't forget to tell the designers (Aaron, Ariel) that they should prepare
also a physics mesh for their maps because it is a large performance
enhancment.

-kk