[pure-silver] Re: yellowish streak down middle of film

  • From: Janet Cull <jcull@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2009 22:01:45 -0400

Actually, I've changed my technique after taking a class. Before I'd never had this problem. One other time, since changing, I've had a fixing problem.

I used to invert the tank, side to side and front to back and that worked for the few years I've been doing this. Recently I was told by an instructor there was no need to do that continuously, but to use the little black tube thing with the slot and rotate it every 30 seconds or so. I think I'll go back to my old way.

I did invert it the first minute or so, but I guess that wasn't enough.

I refixed it and I think it's gonna be fine, though it's still wet so I haven't looked at it in front of a light.

Thank you for your answer and interest!

From: "Janet Cull" <JCULL@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I processed 2 rolls of film this afternoon.  One came out with a
yellowish streak down the center.  Anyone know why?  Should I re-fix?
Thanks.

Janet

If it's B&W film, and the streak is a cloudy yellowish streak, yes absolutely refix- it will probably go away with no harm to the image. (After re-fixing, follow your normal procedure: wetting agent/ wash/ whatever)

My concern is why is the streak down the center? Do you mean down the center of the length of the film? If you are using roll film wound on spools and there is not enough fixer in the tank and your agitation does not include inversion (or rolling), then the un-fixed area should be toward the top edge. Or if your agitation technique is only rolling and there's not enough fixer in the tank, then the un-fixed portion would be at the center of the spool. If it's 35mm film, and you agitated very vigorously and pulled it out of the fixer before completion, then you could get an un-cleared streak in the center; it might have a 'sawtooth' appearence brought on by increased turbulance around the sprocket holes of the film.

Can you please provide more details on your developement technique? You've made me curious as to how as can happen!

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = ====================================================================== To unsubscribe from this list, go to www.freelists.org and logon to your account (the same e-mail address and password you set-up when you subscribed,) and unsubscribe from there.