[pure-silver] Re: yellowish streak down middle of film

  • From: Bogdan Karasek <bkarasek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2009 08:35:37 -0400

hello,

A comment concerning the Paterson reels because they always seem to be getting a bad rap. I have been using Paterson reels (127, 35mm and 120 format) and tanks going on 10 years with 1 to 10 reels used per week. When I use agitation, I turn the tank top over bottom and rotate the tank on its central axis, never had a problem with development, streaks or whatever.

If the reels are not completely dry, then you will have problems loading the film because the humidity on the plastic will jam the film. But if you take normal operational procedures, dry reels, intake slots are aligned, the reels are in good condition, then there shouldn't be any problems.
If they are used properly, then you will not have any problems.

Cheers,
Bogdan

Elias Roustom wrote:

I teach, and this answer just makes me wonder how many times I've given advice that turned out wrong for a particular student...

"No need to do that continuously" means what? No need to do that for the whole development time? That would be correct. Agitation is intermittent, once a minute, or once a half-minute.

So are you using a Patterson platic tank with the friction loading plastic reels? I don't have much experience with the plastic tanks. I have one, that I use for the occasional experiment with 4x5 sheets. But it occurs to me (on visual inspection) that the Patterson reels are harder to get liquid to flow through than stainless steel reels, so if you're not turning the tank over bottom to top, the rotations with the "tube" would have to be vigorous using long fast turns in each direction. Many people use these systems without any trouble, and they do have some very good features - I'd been warned off them for several reasons by several people so I learned to use the stainless reels (that, and the steel tanks and reels are just so pretty).

Elias

On Apr 4, 2009, at 10:01 PM, Janet Cull wrote:

Actually, I've changed my technique after taking a class. Before I'd never had this problem. One other time, since changing, I've had a fixing problem.

I used to invert the tank, side to side and front to back and that worked for the few years I've been doing this. Recently I was told by an instructor there was no need to do that continuously, but to use the little black tube thing with the slot and rotate it every 30 seconds or so. I think I'll go back to my old way.

I did invert it the first minute or so, but I guess that wasn't  enough.

I refixed it and I think it's gonna be fine, though it's still wet so I haven't looked at it in front of a light.

Thank you for your answer and interest!

From: "Janet Cull" <JCULL@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I processed 2 rolls of film this afternoon.  One came out with a
yellowish streak down the center.  Anyone know why?  Should I re- fix?
Thanks.

Janet

If it's B&W film, and the streak is a cloudy yellowish streak, yes absolutely refix- it will probably go away with no harm to the image. (After re-fixing, follow your normal procedure: wetting agent/wash/ whatever)

My concern is why is the streak down the center? Do you mean down the center of the length of the film? If you are using roll film wound on spools and there is not enough fixer in the tank and your agitation does not include inversion (or rolling), then the un- fixed area should be toward the top edge. Or if your agitation technique is only rolling and there's not enough fixer in the tank, then the un-fixed portion would be at the center of the spool. If it's 35mm film, and you agitated very vigorously and pulled it out of the fixer before completion, then you could get an un-cleared streak in the center; it might have a 'sawtooth' appearence brought on by increased turbulance around the sprocket holes of the film.

Can you please provide more details on your developement technique? You've made me curious as to how as can happen!

 Bogdan Karasek
 Montréal, Québec                     bogdan(at)bogdanphoto.com
 Canada                               www.bogdanphoto.com

                    "I bear witness"