[pure-silver] Re: what causes pinholes in emulsion?

  • From: "BOB KISS" <bobkiss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 18:33:39 -0400

DEAR SHANNON,

            I live in the tropics and always cool my film processing chems
down to 68 ? 70 ° F when I use a stop bath.  One of my students insisted
that he could use D-76, stop and fix at room temp, 85 ° F, simply by
reducing the dev time.  He got the contrast right but had many pinholes.  Is
this a temperature issue for you?

                        CHEERS!

                                    BOB

  _____

From: Shannon Stoney <shannonstoney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, February 20, 2009 12:32 pm
To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I am printing some film that I shot over a year ago, and there are
lots of pinholes in the emulsion. At first I thought it was the brand
of film, and one roll did seem worse than the others: the Bergger
roll. But the problem is on the FP4+ negatives too. Maybe it was
something in my processing that day? I seem to remember that if the
temperature difference between the developer and stop is too much, like
if the developer is warm and the stop is really cold, it can happen.
Is that right?

--shannon

database 3874 (20090220) __________

http://www.eset.com