[pure-silver] Re: washing film with deminarilised water

  • From: "Leigh Solland (on Chickadee)" <solland@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 07:55:18 -0700

john stockdale wrote:
>Thanks Ryuji,
>
>I was told by a very pedantic wine chemist that the official abbreviation
>for millilitre was changed from ml to mL because of the frequent mistakes
>when the lower case L became confused with the digit 1.  I continue to use
>it for the same reason, even if I'm wrong.  It's still not as incorrect as
>10mls etc which I see often.
>
>The cursive L solves the problem without breaking the "capitals rule" at
>the expense of another symbol on the keyboard, and possibility of someone
>else's computer showing it as a funny symbol, which happens to some of us
>when reading emails from our European list members.
>
>An alternative would be to find a scientist whose name begins with L.  Then
>liter could become L<something> without Euro-feathers being ruffled, and
>the unambiguous L could be used.  This was done when Centigrade became Celsius.
>
>I remember that the Hewlett-Packard printer control codes used lower case L
>and the digit 1 quite a lot, and they warned against carelessness in
>confusing them,  but I was amused to see that they fell into their own trap
>occasionally in their manuals.
>
>John Stockdale

I would like to refer you all to the following metric FAQ from the
USENET group misc.metric-system:

  http://www.cs.uu.nl/wais/html/na-dir/metric-system-faq.html

Among other things, it contains a reference to the biography of Claude
Émile Jean-Baptiste Litre (1716-1778), an alleged French pioneer in
chemical glassware and volumetric measurement, son of a family with a
long tradition in wine-bottle manufacturing.  Details of this story have
been compiled in

http://www.student.math.uwaterloo.ca/~stat231/stat231_01_02/w02/section3/fi1.2.pdf

<http://www.student.math.uwaterloo.ca/%7Estat231/stat231_01_02/w02/section3/fi1.2.pdf>

Meanwhile, back in the darkroom . . .