[pure-silver] Re: was attire, now MCS

  • From: John Bower <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 09:45:22 -0400

What he is talking about is Multiple Chemical Sensitivity or MCS. I've written several books dealing with it (e.g. The Healthy House). People with MCS can have sensitivities to a wide variety of "everyday" chemicals (e.g. perfume, household cleaners, vehicle exhaust, carpet odor, fresh paint), and the original trigger of their sensitivities can be quite varied (a single strong exposure to some chemical, long-term low-level exposure to a pollutant, a severe viral infection, hormonal changes, etc.). The symptoms can sometime seem bizarre to unaffected individuals (virtually any symptom imaginable is possible, both physical and psychological), and the symptoms can result from exposures that are no problem for unaffected individuals. It can radically change a person's life. I've spoken to many, many people with MCS and none of them were born with the condition. Some of them are amazing in that they react to environmental pollutants that are far, far below "safe" industrial guidelines, sometime they react to levels that are difficult to measure. There is a lot of information on the web about MCS.
John Bower

Hagner, Andrew wrote:

Speaking of not putting one's hands into chemicals, I have recently
spoken to a commercial lab owner in Montreal who developed some kind of
super sensitivity to certain volatiles in the environment, including
perfumes and other cosmetics.  Apparently this is caused by dermal
exposure to the compounds in the B&W fixer, which I assume it to mean
thiosulphate.  The initial symptoms are tightness in the joints of the
hands.  Does anyone know any details of this phenomenon?  It is supposed
to be reasonably well documented but not widely known.  I understand
that the sensitivity is quite severe.

- Andrew.

I have taken to wearing sweat pants and a sweat shirt. Actually, this has become my routine around-the-house costume. I use paper towels and toss them after one use. That absolutely prevents contamination. My lady friend does not understand why I go through so many paper towells. I use tongs these days. I hate rubber gloves but don't put my hands in the chemicals any more. I do have a good plastic apron made by Kodak but don't much use it. If I were working with anything hazardous I would take considerably more precautions.

---

-- John Bower http://www.studioindiana.com/