[pure-silver] Re: spotting warm tone paper

  • From: "Dave Valvo" <dvalvo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2006 11:08:52 -0500

If you look at a normal silver print, for example, Kodak Polymax II RC and compare it to Ilford Multigrade IV RC the Kodak paper image will look cold and the Ilford paper will look warm. (Given they were processed in the same chemistry) Both are on white supports. It all has to do with how the silver develops. I call this image tone. (I am not including toners which is a different effect.)

If you put the cold Kodak's Polymax II emulsion on a yellowish support the image will look warm but not because of the silver but because of the base. I call this base tint not image tone.

You can use std spotting dyes on the later but to a lesser degree on the former.

Dave

----- Original Message ----- From: "Shannon Stoney" <sstoney@xxxxxxx>