[pure-silver] reel scratching film

  • From: Shannon Stoney <shannonstoney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 14:21:03 -0500

I have four Hewes stainless steel reels for 120 film. One of them is not like the others, as they would say on Sesame Street. And it scratches a little line onto the second frame of every roll of film. It took me a while to figure out which one was doing this. I can see that it is different, but weirdly, the little wire U-shaped thing sticks out LESS on this reel than it does on the others! I think the others are precisely calibrated so that the sticky-outy U thing doesn't touch the film, but apparently they goofed on this other one.

Can I fix it with needle-nosed pliers? Or should I just get another one? I have had it a long time so it's probably too late to send it back. I think I got it at bhphotovideo, maybe a year or so ago.

--shannon