[pure-silver] Re: [pure-silver]Radiographic film, was: Oh How I Miss This Paper

  • From: "bonner" <bguil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 10:21:03 -0500

X ray film was originally designed to be sensitive to blue light, the old
cassette phosphor.  Later, rare earth materials were used in the cassette
phosphors which provided more light per photon, and film was redesigned to
respond to these new x ray screen phosphors, usually green light.  Later
still, when laser printers were adapted to medical imaging, green was a
common choice, so many green sensitive laser films were made.  As expected,
there were variations from the different companies who tweaked their own
versions.  Usually, the films will specify phosphor type as blue or green
sensitive as you have noticed.  You should be able to adjust your filter
packs to get more speed from the film, but experimentation will be needed.
The films may be labeled as general purpose, high speed, detail, etc.
Generally, the slower products have more resolution and use flat grain,
anticrossover techniques and such.  Film labeled half speed might be single
emulsion, as is duplicating film, laser, mammomography, etc.(just scratch
both sides to find out).  A deep red safe light should work OK, but check.
beeg