[pure-silver] Re: making smaller prints with 8x10 enlarger

  • From: Peter De Smidt <pdesmidt@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 18:56:59 -0500

shannon stoney wrote:

>Somebody loaned me a DeVere enlarger for 8x10 negatives, but it does
>have holders for smaller negatives. Today I was trying to enlarge a
>4x5 negative to about 11x14, and I couldn't do it!  I couldn't figure
>out a way to get the image small enough and focussed.  The head would
>not go down past a certain point, nor would the bellows.  So it
>seemed that the smallest print I could make was 16x20.  Unfortunately
>I don't yet have an easel that size, or trays that size, although I
>am looking for some. But, is this normal?  I guess I just assumed you
>could make any size print you wanted, but maybe not.
>
>--shannon

It sounds to me like you need an extension lens cone.  Which model
enlarger do you have? Does it take the standard 504 style lensboards?
These are about 4.5" in diameter. If you need a model number, I could
dig up my 810H  manual which probably lists the required lensboard for
different formats/lenses. If you can't find a specific board, you could
make one fairly easily out of a spare flat lensboard, ABS tube, a flat
sheet of something opaque and rigid, and a retaining ring.

Some of the older De Vere 8x10 use different boards which are roughly
6.75" in diameter. I have a bunch of these later ones that I once bought
by mistake.

Btw., how did the contrast settings work out?

-Peter De Smidt