[pure-silver] Re: link that pictures old film wrappings?

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 14:02:22 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Janet Cull" <jcull@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, May 16, 2007 11:31 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: link that pictures old film wrappings?

I use the chart, but I don't see anything about older versions of the film. Am I looking, but not seeing? Please point me in the right direction if it's there and I'm missing it. Thanks.

Janet

Just to add to the confusion-- There may not really be two different versions of the emulsion. The "new" versions of Tri-X and other Kodak films were released when the company moved manufacture from the old film plant at Rochester to the color film plant. It seems that T-Max was always made in this plant. There was probably a new set of sensitometric tests made on these films. Kodak has both old and new data sheets on its web site, or I can send you the PDF versions of them. Also, the development recommendations for T-Max have changed a bit over the time the film has been made. This is, again, probably the result of later sensitometric testing. The later data sheets also have developer combinations not listed on the earlier sheets, both for Kodak developers and others. T-Max, and probably other thin-emulsion, tabular grain films, tend to vary in contrast faster with variation in development so closer control of time, temperature, and agitation is necessary to get predictable and reproducible results. Some of the small tank times given in the earlier data sheets are too short for uniformity, the later data sheets give times for diluted developers, particularly the T-Max developers, which make it easier to control. IMO, tank development times should be on the order of 8 minutes for good consistency. Probably Xtol is the optimum developer for T-Max since it yields full speed, fine grain, and good sharpness. T-Max and T-Max RS are best for pushing as is Microphen and Xtol, Microdol-X or Perceptol yield finest grain at the cost of about a stop of speed. I use Perceptol with 100T-Max for 35mm and find it gives me noticeably smoother tone rendition than I get with other combinations, probably due to the extremely fine grain.

---