[pure-silver] Re: dust

  • From: photodogden <photodogden@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 14:50:18 +0100

On 30/9/04 2:35 am, "Matthew Gaylen" <mgaylen@xxxxxxx> wrote:
There must be some use for those used multi-blade disposable razors.
Here's what you do. Slip the fine blade of a penknife or a craft knife above
the top blade and cut through the plastic nibs. Prize off the top cover and
you have two or three 1/4" wide blades. Rinse off the dried shaving soap and
bristles. Clamp the middle of a blade with the tips of a pair of artery
(locking)) forceps. Use this miniature 'snow scraper' to "shave" your glass
negative carrier at a fairly steep angle(30-45 degrees) Examine the edge for
crud. Wipe it on an isopropyl alcohol pad. Repeat until clear. This will
remove every last particle of fibre, dandruff and grit without smearing or
generating static. It is particularly good for removing those specks which
no amount of washing or polishing will shift (probably glued on shavings of
emulsion or film base) There will be no scratching with gentle pressure, but
for the ham fisted, rounding the corners with a stone or fine file will
reduce the risk. The old fashioned double-edged blades work equally as well
but the stiffer backed-blades require care to avoid scratching.