[pure-silver] Re: dust

  • From: "Scott Hamming" <Scott.Hamming@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 07:49:49 -0500

        Dust is also a significant problem in my darkroom, mainly due to
it's other role as the master closet and a little bit of a storage room
as well.  Dust "control" is almost futile with the clothes, hamper,
shuffling around, etc.  Not too big a deal with 35mm negs and a
glassless carrier.  While I first started printing my 6x9 negs I used a
glass carrier both top and bottom, and regardless of how well cleaned
and air-sprayed there was always considerable dust.  I've since changed
to only using the glass on top and reducing 2 surfaces.  I've noticed no
film plane issues as a result, either.  When preparing to print a new
neg., I remove the carrier from the dark room, make sure it's clean,
air-spray all of the surfaces and insert the neg.  Between printing
sessions I always cover the enlarger head (condenser) with a small sheet
of plastic to reduce any dust which might otherwise settle.  I'm still
spotting prints, but it's gotten much better with my revised procedure.

To piggy back with a related question: Does anyone recommend a different
material to cover an enlarger with?  Plastic almost seems charged to
attract dust, and linting is a concern with cloth based materials.  Any
thoughts are appreciated.

Scott  =20