[pure-silver] compensating timers (RELATES TO: Re: Aristo VC 4500 enlarger head)

  • From: Rei Shinozuka <shino@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2006 13:31:05 -0500

i got one of these VCL4500's a bit ago, but being in school after 20 years
(which trust me guys, is not like the rodney dangerfield thing)
i've turned it on, seen it go from green to blue as i changed
constrast and that's about it so far.  may is graduation!!

i see a number of you use compensating timers.  now, my understanding
of the way they work is that the light from flourescent gasses
is not stable and the timers basically integrate the output over time
until it determines that a complete exposure has been made.  this
sounds reasonable, however, with two tubes in a VCL, the erratic
output of tubes seems to imply that you would get unreproducible
contrasts, since contrast is controlled by the ratio of the green and
blue tubes.  if the tubes were stable enough for that NOT to happen,
then it seems to follow that the compensating timer is unnecessary.

is my thinking correct, or am i making some wrong assumptions?

thanks,

-rei

On Mar25 12:28, John Meyers wrote:
> Thanks to all who responded regarding the Aristo VCL
> head. By the time I contacted the seller, he said he
> was going away the next morning for several weeks, so
> I can't get it until then. This is good because now it
> gives me the time to put aside the necessary funds for
> when he returns.
>
> John Meyers
>
> --- Lloyd Erlick <lloyd@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > At 10:22 AM 3/22/2006 , you wrote:
> > >John, It is a very nice head. I used one with a
> > Metrolux II timer and was
> > >quite happy with that set up.
> > >
> > >Eric Neilsen Photography
> > >4101 Commerce Street
> > >Suite 9
> > >Dallas, TX 75226
> > >http://e.neilsen.home.att.net
> > >http://ericneilsenphotography.com
> >

> > March 25, 2006, from Lloyd Erlick,
> >
> > I used this setup for a long time, too, and loved
> > it.
> >
> > I changed enlargers to a Durst and got a Multigraph
> > light source with it.
> > It's even better than the VCL! (Better in the sense
> > of easier and quicker.
> > Final print is no different either way ...).
> >
> > regards,
> > --le
> > Lloyd Erlick Portraits, Toronto.
> > voice: 416-686-0326