[pure-silver] Re: best way to flatten prints?

  • From: Sauerwald Mark <mark_sauerwald@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 10:18:26 -0800 (PST)

Shannon

There are a few ways that you can flatten prints.

I have a drum dryer, and the prints come out of that
pretty flat.  Sometimes I will re-wet a print and run
it through the dryer just to flatten it.

I also have a dry mount press, which does a good job
of flattening.  In support of the press, I made a
flattening board, it sort of like a big, flat box,
about 18 x 24 x 3 - the bottom is a piece of MDF, the
sides are pine and the top is ply - the inside is
filled with lead shot and epoxy to give it weight.
The top has handles attached to make it easier to move
around.  After being in the press, either for mounting
or flattening, the print sits under this box until it
cools.  - I imagine that you could use something like
this and just leave a print under it for a long time
to flatten, but I haven't ever tried it.

Mark