[pure-silver] Re: WHAT IS LENS CLEANING FLUID?

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 12:40:41 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Speedy" <speedgraphic@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, August 31, 2009 12:07 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: WHAT IS LENS CLEANING FLUID?

I have used Golden Grain, or Everclear.  What is that?
It is 190 proof Grain alcohol. You can buy a half pint of it
at your local licquor store for less than five bucks and if
you have the need to do so it also doubles as "focusing Fluid."

A half pint of the stuff for lens cleaner will last a very long time
as long as you are not drinking it.

Good Light!
Speedy

Its grain alcohol, AKA ethyl alcohol (and a formal chemical name I can't remember). Grain alcohol is taxed as liquor unless denatured. The denaturant is usually something like xylol or other solvent to make it undrinkable. Isopropyl alcohol is a good solvent for many purposes which is available in relatively pure form at low cost at places that sell computer supplies etc. Rubbing alcohol is isopropyl alcohol diluted usually to 70%. It works as a cleaner for some things but leaves too much water behind for use on film or lenses. Most commercial lens cleaners are diluted ammonium carbonate. The carbonate is lower in pH than household ammonia which is diluted ammonium hydroxide. Some types of glass dissolve in high pH solutions although I think lens cleaner is so diluted it probably is of no consequence which kind of ammonia is used. The standard solvent for cleaning parts in optical factories was acetone but since this is a pretty non-selective solvent for paint and cements it should be used on lenses only as a last resort and with great care to avoid getting it painted surfaces etc. Most glass cleaner, such as Windex, is ammonium hydroxide but some of the newer "streak free" cleaners are butyl alcohol. The main thing with a lens cleaner is that it should do no damage to the lens or lens mount and that it not leave any sort of residue. I don't think much of the "magic" cleaners, I think they are just conventional cleaners at high prices.