[pure-silver] Update - Ektapan film found in holders

  • From: David Starr <davestarr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2004 17:35:00 -0400

A few days ago I posted about some 4x5 holders I got on Ebay having
film in them.  I developed it today, & it was unexposed.  I thought it
would be, but you never know.

On another note, I finally had time to print one of the first 4x5 negs
I've shot.  WOW!  Just getting used to the camera, I set it up in the
darkroom & shot my chemical shelves.  Actually, a fairly decent test;
there's everything there from white dry chemical jars to a dead flat
black 4x5 tank, and shade in between.  Lighting was just the ceiling
lights, so I got some good reflections off brown glass bottles, and a
good variety of shadows on the wall behind the shelves.

I'm really impressed with the clarity of the shot - Tri-x in D-76H,
BTW.  Made an 8x10 & I'm amazed at the sharpness.  Ran the enlarger up
tp 16x20 and made a print of 1/4 of the neg.  Still extremely sharp,
with just the barest touch of grain.  I'll have to set up the RB-67
for a comparison shot to be sure, but this appears to blow away the MF
work I've done.  If nothing else, it's a great incentive to get behind
the big camera & burn more sheets of film.