[pure-silver] Re: Unknown film

  • From: Bill <billtech@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 11:17:36 -0400

I didn't know Fine Grain Positive came in shed form; I've only used it in 35mm.
In that format, it was used to make release prints from Hollywood negatives and
was very inexpensive. I think I paid about $4.00 for a 100' roll back in the
60's. It could be developed in almost anything, but there was a certain
developer (DK-50? sorry, don't recall for sure) to use if you wanted to make
high-contrast shots (of line drawings, for example).

I used it in the camera for fun - the neat thing is that it *was* fine-grain. I
used to flip my enlarger around to shoot at the floor, rather than the
baseboard, and in a print which would have been 2x3 feet (if I'd had paper that
size) there was absolutely NO sign of grain!

The tradeoff was two sided. First, it definitely is blue-sensitive. Shooting
outdoors, if I included 1/16" of sky at the top of a shot, it would bleed jet
black completely across the sprockets! Second, as I recall, the daylight ASA
rating worked out to be about 1.2. Yes, one point two. Ten seconds or so in
bright sunlight. But the lack of grain was soooo much fun. It was discontinued
(at least in consumer-size rolls) at least 20 years ago.

Enjoy! (10x12, cut to 8x10, should allow some 20-foot wide grainless prints!)

-Bill