[pure-silver] Re: Testing Washing with Selenium Toner 1+9

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 19:50:17 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Elias_Roustom" <elroustom@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, October 26, 2010 6:28 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Testing Washing with Selenium Toner 1+9

Thanks Richard. I wet the print by running water over the corner I was testing. This was a practice print to test several things at once including a new washing routine... so I'm not worried about the stains.

Residual silver? So that's testing for sufficient fixing then?
So to test my washing, I need to get some sodium sulfide.

Elias

Selenium toner works fine for testing for residual silver, that is, for the effectiveness of the hypo. Either selenium or sulfide will tone remaining silver halides or silver-thiosulfate complexes as readily as it will tone metallic silver. For testing for _residual hypo_ that is effectiveness of washing, you need a solution of silver nitrate. This is used in the same way as the residual silver test, that is a few drops of the diluted solution is placed on a clear area of the negative or print and allowed to stand for two or three minutes, then blotted off. It should leave no more than a very slight stain. Kodak used to offer a chart showing stain levels, there is one in the _Kodak Black-and-White Darkroom Dataguide_ which is available in various editions used. This chart can be used for both tests but the residual silver test should really show NO stain. The silver nitrate test will result in a permanent stain so should be used only on a border area of a negative or a scrap of printing material processed with the print or on a border that will be trimmed away when mounting. There is a more elaborate version of the silver nitrat test that fixes the stain so that it can be measured with a densitometer. This is then compared to samples that have known amounts of hypo in them. Kodak has this all detailed somewhere in its technical papers. The more modern measurement for residual hypo is the methylene blue test that is detailed in a ISO standard for quantitive measurements. Its much too elaborate for routine use. The silver nitrate and sodium sulfide test are detailed in the Kodak handbook. The KRST test has not been included for many years because I think it led to misleading results too often when used on inadequately washed material. Its quite reliable when used on washed film or paper. Keep in mind that the results are those obtained immediately after making the test because both tests darken with time.