[pure-silver] Re: Survey: warmtone and toner response

  • From: Ryuji Suzuki <rs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Dvalvo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 11:15:32 -0500 (EST)

From: "Dave Valvo" <Dvalvo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Survey: warmtone and toner response
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 17:07:50 -0500

> Ryuji, sorry for picking up this note so late......I hope you
> summarize your findings and share them with the group.

When I shared some info from my tests when I got a pile of freebies,
you were apparently very unhappy because none of the product was made
by Kodak. I'm afraid you'll be unhappy again if I shared my experience.

There were a few people who shared their experience, but they didn't
include Kodak papers either. And there weren't enough responses to
summarize - responses had virtually no overlaping observations.

Most of my experience in this area is with AGFA MCC/MCP, Fortezo and a
few of my own emulsions. But what I found in general, when comparing
the results of toning, is that the statements about the difference
between chlorobromide or bromide are irrelevant. (Those statements are
found on several websites, ranging from photography "experts" personal
web sites to manufacturers or distributer's sites.) Some (at least one
of my) bromide emulsion can tone very deeply and rapidly, some even to
orange brown, while some chlorobromide emulsion were resistant to much
toning, though these depended on the print developer. The general
suggestion that warmtone everything is best for best toning results is
misleading or undesirable (specifically for warmtone developers) if
the widest possible range of toning depths is sought with selenium,
polysulfide or combination of these.

When I used DS-14 and dilute selenium-polysulfide combination toner
with MCC, I saw split toning effect in one bath, deep purplish black
shadows and pinkish/orangish highlights, that I did not see
previously. Now I'm addicted to it.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Keep a good head and always carry a light camera."