[pure-silver] Source of matboard

  • From: Jeffrey Thorns <puresilver@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 12:02:14 -0800

I have usually purchased my matboard from Light Impressions. I am sure they are high-quality products, but they are a little spendy. I buy it in 25-packs, of either 11x14 or 16x20.

I use 4-ply archival (either Exeter or Westminster) board for both the overmat and the 'backer' board, most of the time.

Waaaay back in art school, I remember using 'mountboard' that was much less expensive than what I use now. It was white and smooth on one side, and gray-green on the back, with a gray center.

I'd love to reduce the cost of the board - do many people on this list use 'mountboard', or does everyone use archival mat board? Is 'mountboard' going to have a negative affect on the longevity of the print? Does the type of mounting tissue really influence this?

If you use a less-expensive board, could you tell me where you get it? (assuming it can be purchased online)

Thanks