[pure-silver] Re: Sea Water Washing and Journal of the SMPE

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2014 20:35:55 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "bobkiss @caribsurf.com" <bobkiss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, August 03, 2014 4:08 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Sea Water Washing and Journal of the SMPE

DEAR RICHARD,
Thanks for posting that. I had the pleasure of hearing Dr. James lecture on this topic after we read about it in his book. I recall that we found it entertaining that, after all of the high level photo chem we had to learn, that sea water would to a very good job washing prints and film
if followed by a fresh water wash.
***Perhaps the pain killers are making me inept but I can't seem to find the SMPTE journal on the site you recommended. It is an amazing site & I would love to download some of the journals but my search on the site does
not lead me to them.

The journals are in the Prelenger archive, however search for "journal of the society of motion picture engineers" and it should come up. For the Transactions search for Transactions of the Society of Motion Picture Engineers. The Society changed its name sometime in the 1950s (I should know the date) to The Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers and library card files and other archives often list the two separately. The URL for the Journal is:

https://archive.org/search.php?query=society%20of%20motion%20picture%20engineers%20journal

The transactions at:

https://archive.org/search.php?query=society%20of%20motion%20picture%20engineers%20transactions

For the SMPTE try
https://archive.org/search.php?query=society%20of%20motion%20picture%20and%20television%20engineers%20journalThe
 archive seems not to go beyond about 1955.  The completearchive is available
at the SMPTE site but requiresmembership to access.--Richard KnoppowLos
AngelesWB6KBLdickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx