[pure-silver] Re: Restoring faded prints

  • From: Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 17:52:39 -0700

At 04:39 PM 3/27/2008, you wrote:
"Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
"Nicholas O. Lindan" <nolindan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> The idea that faded prints are not recoverable has always
> annoyed me.
There is a chemical method which was published in one of the Kodak books ... I will cudgel my brain

No need to cudgel...  Google knows all.  Reproduced
below.

This is yet another method. The one in the Kodak book has a single solution unless I am mis-remembering it. I don't remember seeing it anywhere else. This is the book on preserving archival material. Golly, its so frustrating to have a memory that drops names overboard. I am pretty sure BTW that the formula you quote will also bleach pyro stain. The stain image is very robust and will sometimes outlast the silver image. Later: I think the book I am thinking of is James M. Reilly's book on identifying historical photographs. A Kodak book but published by the Silver Pixel Press.