[pure-silver] Re: Ques. regarding Pyrocat-HD

  • From: Bob Younger <ryounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 18:59:19 -0700

Bogdan,

You make it up as you use it from stock solutions of A and B. 10ml of
each/liter. I prefer buying the premixed liquid as it's convenient. For
planning purposes I use about 1 liter/8x10 sheet because I develop 4 sheets
at a time flat in trays (I used a 4 sheet divider in a 16x20 tray). If you
use the flip and stack method you need about 3 liters for 6 -7 sheets. So,
50 liters goes pretty quickly. The stock solutions are pretty stable, but
once opened don't last forever; 4-6 months and I then usually toss what's
left.

I've never been able to get a straight answer regarding water vs. glycol
other than, "some photographers prefer glycol." But as far as I've been
able to tell they have exactly the same developing characteristics.
I prefer the premixed liquid.

It's extremely adaptable either to regular agitation or semi-stand
development. With semi-stand development it does a great job of keeping
extreme highlights in check; but N+2 or N+3 times get to be VERY long. But
with 30 sec agitation you can expect a more standard curve (whatever
"standard" means).

Where to buy:  I buy mine directly from Photoformulary, but don't know what
shipping arrangements they would make for Canada. They're located in
Montana; it's certainly worth the call.

http://stores.photoformulary.com/StoreFront.bok

Photographers Formulary Inc Po Box 950 / 7079 Hwy 83 N Condon MT 59826
Phone: 800-922-5255 or 406-754-2891 Fax: 406-754-2896
 Emails: Budw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx: lynnw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx : Sherry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

These are the same products that B&H sells; so I would say that
availability of stock would be the discriminator if shipping cost was
equal.

Hope that's helpful,
Bob Younger