[pure-silver] Re: Pyrocat-HD with a Jobo CPE-2

  • From: Peter De Smidt <pdesmidt@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2007 13:44:20 -0700

Eric Nelson wrote:
Tim, I use a cpp2 with Chicago water and recommend it
with some reservations.  The reservation being that
without lifting the drum during development your film
can suffer road ruts (i.e. uneven development) no
matter what the film/developer combination.  Here,
this is very important for roll film and less so for
sheets.

Eric, that's strange. I haven't had this problem, and I've used a jobo CPP-2 for all of my developing since 1994. The drums have to be level, though, and this needs to be adjusted from drum to drum.

With most drums this requires you to lift it at the
junction of the vertical and horizontal parts of the
lift in the trough as an assist to the lift handle,
otherwise you will break the lift using solely the
lift handle. This is esp. true with larger drums. A single 1500 drum section w/1 or 2 rolls can go
without assisting the lift.
With most drum, I simply lift up the...um...drum cradle. Basically, there are two metal rod that run under the drum. The drum rollers slide on to these rods. For most drum, I simply grab the plastic end that these rods go into, i.e. the farthest part of the lift mechanism from the add chemicals area. This method puts the least stress on the mechanism. Also, make sure to time bringing the drum down to coincide with the point were the gears stand still for a time while reversing direction of rotation.