[pure-silver] Pure Silver Negative Exchange Guidelines/Rules

  • From: Speedy <speedgraphic@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 19:58:11 +0000

Pure Silver
Negative Exchange

“The negative is comparable to the composer's score and the print to
its performance. Each performance differs in subtle ways. “   - Ansel Adams

I think everyone would agree that the print exchanges are
interesting, educational and FUN!

In the print exchanges we have all seen each others
performance of their own work.

How about something just a little different – a Negative
Exchange.

How would it work?

6 participants would each go out and make ONE
negative.  No larger than 6”x9”.There is no theme required for this
exchange.They would send their negative to me.  I would send one negative to
each photographer with a list
of the other participants.  Each participant would be given one month to print 7
identical prints of the negative.  After printing the Printer would cross their
name off the
list and then mail the negative to the next printer on the list who would then
have one month to make 7 identical prints And so on until all six negatives had
been printed.  On the back of each print note the name of the
photographer, and your name along with details of what went into making the
print.  All prints will be  8x10 and made Fiber is encouraged but RC is
acceptalbe.  All prints will be sliver
based – NO INK JET.After you have printed all six negatives send all prints to
me and I will put it all together and send to each participant along with their
negative.When mailing in your prints please include at least the
amount it cost to ship to me to cover the cost of shipping the group back.  I
don’t intend to make any money off
this.  Any excess will be put back into
the presentation.Time Limits – Each participant has one month to produce
and mail in their negative.  Upon receipt
of a negative for printing they have 1 month to complete printing and send on
to the next printer.

My Mailing Address:

Chuck Ulm

c\o WALB-TV

1709 Stuart Ave.

Albany GA 31707

This would be interesting because each photographer would
be approaching each negative with none of the preconceptions that the
photographer or any of the other printers might have.  Every negative is open
to interpretation.  It will be interesting to see your
interpretation of other’s negatives.

As Ansel Adams might say you would have the opportunity
to perform the music written by another with your own interpretation.

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/171222984/direct/01/