[pure-silver] Re: Prints fixed to long in first bath

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 18:16:35 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Nelson" <emanmb@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, January 16, 2011 4:19 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Prints fixed to long in first bath

Thanks guys.

My worry too has been as you and Gerald have pointed out. If I had no chance to re-print then I'd be tempted to chance it or try HE-1 but I have no formalin for the last step and instructions also mention HE-1 is to be used after toning so it would just be better all 'round to reprint while the enlarger is still set up
for these negs.  Dang fiber has gotten so expensive!

I think too that Ken's point of no evident change to prints in many years under similar treatment has value. But given the responsibility I have to produce as archival a print as I can for this HABS/HAER job, I think his method bears note
and validity, but not for this particular situation.

Eric

If the prints did not discolor in the trash they were probably fixed OK. The second fixing bath would have removed any residual complexes. You can test for residual silver using either a sodium sulfide test or a 1:9 dilution of Kodak Rapid Selenium Toner. The toner test requires the prints of film its used on be well washed or it can give a false negative. Any stain at all from either test is an indication of unfixed silver halide in the emulsion. If there is no stain its OK. The material must be washed after the test to remove the toner or it will cause a stain with time. I would not use HE-1, it does not remove some partially soluble complexes. The best treatment is a sulfite wash aid like Kodak Hypo Clearing Agent. I think the current Ilford wash aid is probably identical. This will remove both hypo and partially solublized reaction products that will not otherwise wash out. Use according to the Kodak instructions. For archival life the print should be toned. KRST will work if its used in a strong enough dilution but the old recommendation of 1:19 will not tone some highlight silver enough to protect it from oxidation. At 1:9 and used for a minimum of 3 minutes it will provide full protection but will cause some change in image color or density or both. Gold-thiocyanate toner such as Kodak Gold Protective Solution, works very well but is expensive. The gold toner will cause a slight intensification of the print and tend to cause a shift towards blue in some emulsions, particularly warm tone ones. Polysulfide toners, like Kodak Brown Toner, tone all densities uniformly and will provide good protection with partial toning. Toning far enough to cause a detectable change in image color will provide full protection. Note that KBT may cause _film_ emulsions to shift toward blue rather than sepia. Prints must be washed after any toning. Since KRST does not contain acid the use of sulfite wash aid is probably not necessary but can be used if desired. There is no hypo in the other toners so they should be washed as instructed. KBT and other polysulfide toners have a tendency to continue toning in the wash. In fact, they have the peculiar property of toning faster as they are diluted or exhausted. So toned prints should be treated in a solution of sodium sulfite to stop the toning. While the recommendation is for a 10% solution I've found in practice that a working solution of KHCA (about 2% sulfite) works fine. The sulfite bath will also clear the orange stain almost instantly. In general metallic substitution toners like Iron-Blue toner and Copper toner procuce images which are _more_ vulnerable to atmospheric attack than the original silver image. Bleach and redevelop sepia toners also produce permanent images where the image color is desired or can be tollerated. In fact, any sulfiding toner, when used to completion, will be archival. Note that some, particularly Nelson's Gold Toner require fixing after toning because they generate some halide. If not fixed and washed after toning the prints will NOT be permanent but if properly treated they will be.

Los Angeles
WB6KBL