[pure-silver] Re: Print Developer Temperature

  • From: "Steven Kershaw" <stevendidit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 10:58:44 -0800

Elias,

I am a bit surprised that my methodology has not been offered yet... Do you
not have a wet darkroom? I use (much) larger tray, on a riser so that it is
a couple of inches higher that has temperature controlled water running
through it with an outflow tube that dumps into my wash tray. Not only does
my temp stay where I want it so does my first rinse/holding bath. I use this
method for both printing and my 8x10 sheet film processing.  It takes very
little water flow and very little practice to set the incoming temp at the
place where it keeps your developer at the proper temp and still provides a
good rinse/hold temp. (This is much more critical for film than for paper.)
Of course if your not using a wet darkroom my condolences, I've been
spoiled, the method can still be employed using a closed loop system with a
small aquarium pump circulating water with a "coffee or tea warmer". Even
had one set up with a large bucket as his holding tank and then used an old
electric skillet, thermostatically controlled by virtue of it's design
nearly submerged in the bucket.  Adjust the dial on the skillet to keep your
water temp where you need it to keep you dev. warm and cozy! Some heat will
be lost to the room which I doubt you will mind and truth of the matter is
water is a better conductor than air so it will in principal be a more
efficient and manageable system albeit more convoluted to set up.  Another
plus is if your climate pushes in the other direction as it did while
working in deep east Texas for far too long you can COOL your chemistry as
well!

Steven
In wet but wonderful Tillamook, Oregon

Steven Kershaw, CPF