[pure-silver] Re: Photography in Public Places

  • From: "Margret Preece" <margretpreece@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 16:15:07 +0000

I had a similar if less violent incident quite recently in London (in Canary
Wharf for those who know London).  I wanted to photograph a post-type
advertisement and its reflection in a window, a collection of interesting
angles and lines.  A security guard in plain clothes seemed to appear from
nowhere and very politely and very firmly told me to desist.  I pointed out
to him how really uninteresting to anybody but a photographer the whole
setup was but he did not even consider it.

I walked away though I feel that I should have objected much more strongly.
But in the end - is it worth it??  I know there is a question of civil
liberty etc but unless I had a few lawyers with me at the time it would not
have done me any good.  Question is, with this happening all over the place,
where do we go from here????  Do we have to study law to be able to defend
our rights?

Margret Preece
West Sussex, UK