[pure-silver] Re: Organic?

  • From: Mark Blackwell <mblackwell1958@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 17:12:55 -0800 (PST)

> Words mean things. Polluting their meaning just debases our
> culture,
> art, literature, politics, and society by making our
> thinking muddy.
>
> Thank you for reading this organically - assuming
> you're still
> alive you silly carbon-based life forms ...
>
> </rant>

Tim there is just one trouble with that logic.  The meaning of words often
change as our speech, like everything else is constantly evolving.  They often
vary from area to area.  It's particularly common in the US.  In Europe, they
just often evolved different languages.  It really isn't surprising in that
many of the areas with general dialects are often larger than many European
nations.

Example in the South US the term Coke is often used in the generic sense for
any what Northerners would call soda or pop.  Coke could mean a coke, but it
could also mean any such soft drink.  NO ONE other than a transplant would ever
use the term pop other than maybe in the context of "I'll pop you upside the
head with this coke bottle if you don't leave me alone."    I think I'll have a
bottle of pop, in Chicago would be a perfectly normal sentence.  The late Lewis
Grizzard would testify that in Atlanta that would never happen.

I'm old.  I know how the meaning of words can change.  I am old enough to
remember back when gay meant happy, but it takes a entirely different context
today.  I could use it very carefully with the old meaning, but there is a big
risk that the new one would be taken.  In that day bad meant bad, not good.
Ask for a cigarette using the European term in the US and big trouble might be
around the corner, even with no ill will or intent.

It is one of the problems with language, especially the written word.  Context
is often difficult if not impossible to determine.  Yet we should be as careful
as possible to portray the meaning.

Now is a print organic or not.  Well these are often the people that would
drive with their knees an inch from their chins in a Yugo that gets 900mph at
900 feet per hour.  What would I do?  First I'd make a print on fiber based
paper and tell them everything used in making the print was "All Natural" in
that everything used to make it came from nature.  We may have doctored it a
bit.  grin.