[pure-silver] Okay, I'll start a thread: Forte semi-matt observations

  • From: "Eric Maquiling" <emaquiling@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 10:17:29 -0700

Its been killer hot in socal this summer.  Couldn't print until last week.
I have a brand new box of 5x7 Forte Fiber semi-matt multi-contrast
paper (bought in Spring).  I also have a bunch of the same paper
(older box, but only about 6 months older) in my 8x10 paper safe.

I printed (attempted to) print from the 5x7 Forge paper that is in my
paper safe.  I have it in the plastic bag that it came in.  All the
prints I did (negs a little dense but that always fine before, just
print on #2 filter) came out very grey.  The whites, after drying,
looked blueish gray.  I thought it was the contrast of my negs but my
print times were 60-70 seconds on #2 grade.  I thought the ambient
light of the loooong exposure did something to the base.

So what I did, I took out a brand new paper, same type, new box, and
put it on the easel, put some coins on it, and make a brief exposure.
Same with other paper.  When dried, the paper in the paper safe had
the same blueish-gray whites.

Since both papers were in my garage, but one was new in box, I thought
the HEAT did something.

So I'm not really sure what happened with the paper that was in the
paper safe (wrapped in black plastic).

Any theories?

--
Eric