[pure-silver] Re: OT: (picture of) The first digital camera

  • From: "Edward C. Zimmermann" <edz@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2007 11:00:31 +0100

The problem with that site is that it was not terribly accurate as
a historical gallop through digital image capture. Kodak's work was,
albeit, in the name of exploring consumer products for digital imaging,
like much of Kodak's work of that era, a lot of tinkering and less product
development.

Or did film still photography start with Oscar Barnack's Leica?

Digital capture is a concept and not really specific to the development
of specific chips or computer technologies. "Digital cameras" were around
LONG before Shockley's transistor.

Keeping to the off-topic tradition I think we need to place historical
digital capture in the realm of raster imaging with its basis in the
work of Paul Nipkow in the 19th century (recall TV predates film as
motion picture technology)--- even Nipkow's disk are alive and kicking
in quite a few "high tech" high resolution capture applications--- see
the current trend "live cell imaging".

This list is about "pure silver". Forgetting for a moment that its about
metallic salts (silver) its a very different kind of capture. It might be
about capture but so is the pencil, the paint brush and the fountain pen..