[pure-silver] Re: Non-acid rapid fixer - continued

  • From: Claudio Bonavolta <claudio@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 16:00:55 +0100

        ----- Message d'origine -----
De: "Nicholas O. Lindan" <nolindan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 08:07:17 -0500
Sujet: [pure-silver] Re: Non-acid rapid fixer - continued
À: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
"Claudio Bonavolta"

 > because the fixer is no more acid, the risk of stains has gone
 > and there is no  need to wash the prints between the fixer and toner

 There seems to be more than one reason for staining in the Se.  If there
 is a lot of dissolved silver in the final fixer - and thus dissolved silver
 in the print - there will be staining.  The second fixer bath has to
 be really fresh.

 --
 Nicholas O. Lindan
 Darkroom Automation

You're right, my usual procedure is to wash the prints for 5 minutes in running
water (while I'm exposing and processing the next sheet) and let them stay in a
sink until the end of the session where I tone them all one after the other.

With the same F-9-like fixer that looks bad to the iodide test, I tried to:

- put the print directly from the fixer to the selenium -> staining

- put the print from the fixer to a short (10 seconds) rinse to selenium ->
much less staining but still some

- wash the print for 5 minutes between the fix and toner -> no staining

I've the impression that Ishould be able to tone the print after a shorter wash
than 5 minutes but was a bit short of time to test it this week-end.

The idea being to put the wash and toning in-line with the previous steps and
letting only the final wash to be done at the end of the session.

Claudio Bonavolta

http://www.bonavolta.ch