[pure-silver] Re: Non-acid rapid fixer - continued

  • From: Jean-David Beyer <jeandavid8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 09:59:46 -0500

Claudio Bonavolta wrote:

I'm not using the Ilford short-fix scheme: with a washaid, there is little to gain in terms of wash time.

The idea was not to save wash time, but to shorten fix time so that the fiber base and baryta substrate would not be impregnated with fixer and its byproducts. The reason for that is that if you fix longer, you will never get all that stuff out of those deeper layers of the paper.

Now more recent research has indicated that it is not necessary to get all the fixer out of the paper, that minute amounts actually seem to protect the image.

But, after your post, I wanted to try a 1 minute fix time (I doubt the 30 seconds will be enough but should try one day).

As to be close to a worst-case scenario, the fix was already largely used (iodide test showed a consistent cloudiness), I processed a non-exposed print (Ilford Multigrade IV fiber), carefully washed the sample and did a test with the selenium test.

Looks like the F-9-like fixer is still pretty active as the selenium test was ok ...

Claudio Bonavolta

http://www.bonavolta.ch

 ^^-^^ 09:55:01 up 33 days, 11:15, 3 users, load average: 4.16, 4.28, 4.32