[pure-silver] Re: Nikon users? ... simple little manual

  • From: Lloyd Erlick <lloyd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2006 15:32:54 -0500

At 03:31 PM 12/24/2006 , >Janet wrote:

>That's pretty impressive, if you got the body and lens.  Am I
>understanding correctly?

December 25, 2006, from Lloyd Erlick,

Well, the IIIf is far from the most desirable of the old Leicas. And the
Summitar is not considered the cherry lens. (I find it delivers superb
results.) It's only an f2, after all... I remember paying CND225 for the
body with lens in 1972. Pretty low price even then. I'm not familiar with
present day prices, but we don't need the high priced Leicas that attract
collectors.

The IIIf is a 1950s Leica. All those brilliant photo journalists of the
1920s and 1930s had cameras supposedly inferior to the IIIf. Henri Cartier
Bresson for one. (I can't come up with a portrait as good as the ones Julia
Margaret Cameron made in the 1860s! No roll film for her ...)

Anyway, we all know we need more talent and practice to make better
pictures, not better cameras. My only point really is that an old Leica is
smaller than an SLR, hence more likely to be with us ...

regards,
--le
Lloyd Erlick Portraits, Toronto.
website: www.heylloyd.com