[pure-silver] Re: Multigrade without filter?

  • From: "BOB KISS" <bobkiss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 10:13:04 -0400

DEAR ALAN,

            Remember the old adage for film, "Expose for the shadows and
develop for the highlights"?  Well, when printing with VC I expose for the
highlights and change the contrast to put the shadows where I want them.
Yes, one needs to re test every time you change filtration to hit your
highlights again but this is a quick, paper efficient, way to hit a good
rough print which uses as much of the density range of the negative as you
want.  Then you can change exposure and contrast, dodge and burn for
creative or emotional effect.  You could do it the reverse (expose for
shadow, etc.) but I feel it is harder.  IMO working out from a mid tone
exposure to highlights and shadows is the most difficult and least
efficient, paper wise.  But, hey, whatever works for you!

                        CHEERS!

                                    BOB

  _____