[pure-silver] Re: Mr. Nash's arrogance

  • From: Fred Rosenberg <fdr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2012 14:02:22 -0700

Well said.

On 20/10/2012 1:04 PM, Helge Nareid wrote:
On 20/10/2012 20:27, Tim Daneliuk wrote:

[... big snip ...]
Bach has lived for centuries and will continue to.  I doubt anyone will
even remember the popsters of the 20th century a hundred years from now.
But ... like I said ... I'm kind of a snob about that :)

Slightly tongue in cheek here, but ....

I will disagree with you to some extent here - while I don't have much
good to say about most pop music, the 20th century has brought us some
truly excellent music in the "popular" categories, such as jazz, blues,
folk and even rock. I would not be as quick to dismiss performers like
Billie Holiday, Miles Davis, Bob Dylan or even the Beatles. I will even
go as far as to say that the 20th century has been a golden age of music
- but let's all remember Sturgeon's law: "98% of everything is rubbish!"

I fully accept and respect your opinion of 20th century music (even
though I disagree), and I have no quarrel with your dislike of it. But
dismissing any possible worth in music you don't like sounds remarkably
similar to "film is dead, live with it!"

I don't agree with Nash regarding film, but I also don't agree with you
regarding music. The point where I think Nash has gone too far is to
dismiss the opposing view as worthless. I hope and trust you won't make
the same mistake.

- The Horrible But Slightly Dissenting Helge